Thursday, November 25, 2010

Guitar Technique of the Day: Plateaus and habits

An interesting problem of late. Some very simple possibilities/variations are escaping my notice and don't show up in improvisations. I think I've become too accustomed to my habits, so I have to start transcribing and copying other guitarists again. Also, setting limits helps. For example, using just the 1st and 2nd finger of the left hand on the fretboard, and, relatedly, playing across the fretboard more (Django did this a lot, as do sitarists of the Ravi Shankar school). I was watching some old George Benson videos and noticed that, in spite of using all four left hand fingers, he often uses just the first, second, and third, omitting the fourth. This enables a great kind of slower to medium-fast phrasing and can make smaller riffs and lines more interesting. Plateaus are tough to get out of, but I'm hoping to move past this one soon. It's weird-having practiced so much that certain basic things fall out of your purview. Who ever heard of practicing too much? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment