Monday, November 15, 2010

Guitar Technique of the Day: "natural" electric guitar latency


I recently had the realization that an essential difference between the response of an acoustic and electric guitar is, regarding the latter, I can hear/feel the micro-delay between the acoustic pluck and the response of the amplifier speaker at the end of the line. I've never read or heard about this phenomenon, and was quite shocked to stumble upon it.

I  thought that electricity travels at the speed of light, but according to Bill Beatty, the speed of electricity is dependent on the value of the current; the lower the current, the slower the speed. If this is true, the small milliamp AC outputs of guitar pickups indeed conduct slowly relative to higher current values. But Beatty still doesn't give speeds.

see: http://amasci.com/miscon/speed.html

I'm not that interested in the final scientific resolution of this question, but I am psyched that my ear/touch have gotten sensitive enough that I can hear/feel differences. If I'm not imagining it, then the sensitivity and complexity of the human architecture continues to amaze me. I believe this insight will yield major benefits in my electric guitaring.

Any thoughts, equations, negations?

No comments:

Post a Comment